Follow step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions to make our special Turnip Greens with Diced Turnips Recipe. Fresh turnip greens and turnips are a cold weather delight. We’ll visit our North Carolina State Farmer’s Market to pick up some fresh greens, then cook them up with some pork seasoning for a hearty dish that goes great as a side, or as a meal on its own.
- 2 lbs of fresh young Turnip Greens
- 4 Turnips, small to medium size.
- 2 ozs. Pork Seasoning meat
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
Greens must be washed thoroughly to remove any dirt and bugs.
- Place about 6 cups water in a large sauce pot, over Medium-High heat. Bring to a boil.
- Add the pork meat. Reduce heat to Medium.
- Let pork boil for about 30 minutes while you wash and prepare the greens and turnips.
- Place greens in a large pan, or your sink, fill with cold water and add a Tablespoon of Salt. Salt helps to kill any bugs that might be hiding in the leaves.
- Rinse the greens by hand. Drain off the dirty water. Repeat washing until water runs clean.
- Wash, peel and dice the turnips into small cubes, about ½ inch thick.
- Place diced turnips in a bowl of water to keep them from turning color.
- Place washed greens in the sauce pot, adding a little at a time, until all have been added.
- Let water come back up to a low boil.
- Cover the pot, and let greens simmer for 15 minutes.
- Keep a close watch that all the liquid doesn’t boil away. You can add more water if needed.
- After 15-20 minutes, remove the lid and…
- Add Sugar.
- Add Salt.
- Add Black Pepper.
- Place the diced turnips in the pot. Stir well and cover again.
- Let greens, and the turnips, simmer over medium-low heat until both are tender. About 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Using a slotted spoon, place the cooked greens in a bowl and chop as desired.
- Add any leftover “pot likker” as desired.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!
Some folks add a little vinegar to cut down on the aroma of the turnips while cooking.
Place about half a cup of vinegar in a small bowl on the stove, this will also absorb most of the odors.
Serve with vinegar or hot peppers in vinegar. Or, maybe some chopped onions.
Keywords: Turnip Greens with Diced Turnips Recipe, made from scratch, fresh turnip greens, side meat, southern recipes