Follow step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions to make this True Pound Cake. Consisting of one pound each of Eggs, Flour, Sugar and Butter, this recipe is referred to as the “True” recipe for making pound cake. Dating back to the 1700’s, this version is a bit more dense than today’s pound cakes, but well worth adding to your recipe box.
- 1 pound Butter ( 4 sticks)
- 1 pound Confectioners Sugar
- 1 pound Eggs (10 large eggs)
- 1 pound All-Purpose Flour, or Cake Flour (3 & ¾ cups)
- 2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
DO NOT PREHEAT THE OVEN
- Butter and eggs should be at room temperature before mixing.
To Make Your Own Cake Flour:
- Weigh out one pound, or 3 ¾ cups of All-Purpose Flour
- Remove 7 Tablespoons of the flour and place back in bag.
- Add 7 Tablespoons of Corn Starch to the flour.
- Sift the flour and corn starch together, 3 to 4 times, set aside.
If using Cake Flour, measure one pound and sift. Set aside.
- Sift the Confectioners Sugar into another small mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add sugar to butter, beating continuously, until it’s well incorporated, light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating briefly, but well, after each addition.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Gradually add flour, beating briefly, but well, after each addition, until mixture is smooth.
- Add flavoring, beat just until incorporated.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and fold together a time or two.
- Grease and flour pan, making sure you don’t leave any lumps of flour in the corners.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Level top gently with a spoon.
- Gently spread batter up the sides and center cone of the pan, pulling batter from the middle.
- Place cake on middle rack in a COLD oven.
- Bake at 275ºF for 2 hours, or until done. Test by inserting a wooden toothpick into center of cake. Cake is done when it comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool on a wire rack, for 20-30 minutes.
- Carefully flip pan over and remove cake.
- Let cake cool completely before slicing.
Makes one Bundt Pan Size Cake or 3 loaf pan size cakes.
Keywords: True Pound Cake, original pound cake, made from scratch, our state magazine, southern recipes