Follow our complete, step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions to make this Sweet Potato Casserole recipe. One of our favorite southern dishes, you’ll find this casserole served at church homecomings, family reunions and on Sunday dinner tables everywhere.
- 6 medium Sweet Potatoes, baked
- ½ cup Butter (1 stick) softened to room temperature
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Milk
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- Pinch of Salt
- ½ cup Pecans, chopped
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Butter (1/2 stick) melted
Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Rinse, peel and cut potatoes into large cubes.
- Place potatoes in boiling water, cook until tender. Drain when done.
- Mash with fork or potato masher.
- Add butter.
- Add sugar
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add milk.
- Add ground cinnamon.
- Add nutmeg. Use a spoon or electric mixer and mix until smooth.
- Taste. Add more sugar or spices as desired.
- Add eggs.
- Use a spoon or electric mixer and mix until smooth.
- Lightly butter your baking dish.
- Pour mixture into greased baking dish, set aside.
Prepare the topping.
- Place melted butter in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add brown sugar.
- Add flour.
- Add chopped pecans. Stir ingredients together until fully combined.
- Spread topping evenly over sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in 350F oven for 30-45 minutes, or until lightly browned.
You may use baked sweet potatoes instead of boiling your potatoes if preferred. If you would like to add some marshmallows, add them to the top of the mixture about ten minutes before the end of the baking cycle. Let them slightly melt and brown, but don’t let them burn.
Keywords: sweet potato casserole, southern, pecans, made from scratch, easy