Follow our step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making these delicious Sweet Potato Biscuits from scratch. Just a hint of sweetness makes this the perfect biscuit for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Never made biscuits from scratch? We’ll show you how easy it is to make these without even rolling out any dough.
- 3 cups of Self-Rising Flour, sifted
- ¾ cup Buttermilk
- ¾ cup of Sweet Potato, baked and peeled.
- ¼ cup Lard, or shortening if desired.
- 2 Tablespoons of Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of Cinnamon
- Place sifter in a large mixing bowl.
- Add flour, sugar and cinnamon. Sift together into bowl.
- Create a well in the middle of the flour.
- Add lard, baked sweet potato and buttermilk.
- Squish wet ingredients between fingers until fairly smooth.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the flour using a small circular motion. Draw the flour into the wet ingredients slowly as you continue to stir.
- When the dough ball forms, flip the dough and knead it a few times, working in flour as needed until a soft, smooth dough ball is achieved. Use a light touch as you work without pressing the dough too hard.
- Using one hand, lift the dough and gather a small amount of dough between fingers then, pinch it off.
- Roll dough in the palms of your hand as if making a meatball.
- Roll dough ball in the flour to coat evenly.
- Pat the dough ball lightly in your hands to shape the biscuit. Don’t press it together hard.
- Place the formed biscuit in a pan that has been lightly greased with lard.
- Repeat the process until all dough is used.
- Bake at 500º for about 8-10 minutes or until the tops start to lightly brown.
- Remove from oven, brush with butter, cover with a clean cloth and let rest.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
You can make plain biscuits the same way. Just omit the Sugar, Sweet Potato and Cinnamon. All you need is Self-Rising Flour, Lard and Buttermilk to make delicious Southern Style Biscuits.
Keywords: Sweet Potato Biscuits Recipe, made from scratch, buttermilk, breakfast, lard, southern recipes, old fashioned, homemade