Easy to follow, step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe for making Squash and Onions.
- 1 medium Onion, sliced
- 2–3 Yellow Squash, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Sugar
- Slice the onions.
- Place a skillet over Medium heat on your stove top.
- Add the butter.
- Add the bacon grease.
- Add the onions. Stir and cook until slightly translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Wash and slice the yellow squash about ¼ inch thick.
- Add the squash to the skillet.
- Add the black pepper.
- Add the salt.
- Add the sugar.
- Stir gently to combine the ingredients.
- Cover the skillet. Reduce heat to Medium Low.
- Cook until squash are tender. About 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Serve warm.
Your cooking time may vary. Mine were well done after 15 minutes. Just keep a check on them and cook until they reach the desired tenderness. Squash are done with they begin to look translucent in the center.
Keywords: Squash and Onions recipe, Southern Squash and Onions