Follow our complete, step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions on how to spatchcock a turkey, then roast it in the oven. This 14lb turkey cooked in one hour and ten minutes. Really. Crispy skin, moist all the way through, and ready in no time.
- 1 Turkey, thawed
- ½ stick Butter
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Turkey must be fully thawed.
- Place turkey in sink, remove from packaging.
- Remove the neck from the turkey cavity if included.
- Remove the packet of giblets from the neck cavity if included.
- Cut and remove the tail of the bird if desired.
- Using a sharp knife or poultry shears, cut along both sides of the backbone to remove it.
- Rinse the turkey all over under cold running water.
- Trim away any excess neck skin or other excess pieces of skin as needed.
- Using both hands, press down on the breast bone to crack and flatten it.
- Using paper towels, pat the bird dry on both sides.
- Sprinkle both sides with Kosher salt and black pepper to serve as a dry brine.
- Gently slip your fingers beneath the skin to lift it from the meat.
- Insert several slices of butter or herbed butter underneath the skin.
- Place uncovered in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator about two hours before you plan to roast the bird.
- Let the turkey come up close to room temperature while you preheat the oven to 425F degrees.
- Brush the skin side of the turkey with slightly melted butter.
- Place the turkey on the bottom rack of your oven
- Roast for ONLY 30 MINUTES at 425F degrees.
- REDUCE the temperature to 325F degrees and cook the turkey until done.
- Insert a digital thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh and breast to check for doneness.
- Thigh meat needs to be cooked to 185F degrees and breast meat should be cooked to 165F degrees.
- Remove the turkey from oven when done, place pan on wire rack. Lightly tent turkey with foil.
- Let the turkey rest for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Keywords: Spatchcock Turkey Recipe, how to spatchcock a turkey, Thanksgiving recipes, Christmas, quick turkey recipe