Try our step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe for making delicious Southern Green Beans. It’s just good old basic Southern Cooking at it’s best for a delicious side dish that compliments any meal. Whether you’re using home canned beans, fresh, frozen or store bought in the can, it doesn’t get much easier than this to place another vegetable on your family table.
- 1 quart of Green Beans
- 2 ounces of Pork side meat, or similar
- 1 teaspoon of Sugar
- ½ teaspoon of Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Pour green beans into a colander to remove any liquid from jar or can.
- Rinse lightly with cool running water, let drain.
- Slice the pork side meat into ½ thick slices.
- Place pork in a sauce pot over medium heat.
- Cook meat until the fat sections appear translucent in color. Remove the meat if desired but leave the rendered fat in the pot to season the beans as they cook.
- Add 2 cups of warm water.
- Add the drained green beans. Add more water if needed to reach about 1 inch over top of beans.
- Add Sugar
- Add Black Pepper
- Add Salt
- Stir well and bring to a low boil. Cover pot, REDUCE heat to medium-low, simmer 30-45 minutes or until done.
- Taste a bean or two to see if they are cooked to your desired tenderness. Add more salt if needed, or more water if needed to finish cooking the beans to your taste preference.
- Remove from heat when done, cover until ready to serve.
- Serve warm and Enjoy.
You can also use fatback, bacon grease, hog jowl or even chicken stock to season these beans. The choice is yours.
Keywords: Southern Green Beans Recipe, string beans, french beans, snap beans, made from scratch, southern, old fashioned, southern recipes