Easy to follow, step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions on how to make our Southern Green Beans and Potatoes. Printable recipe included.
- 2lb fresh Green Beans
- 1lb small Red Potatoes, about 6–8
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Wash the potatoes under cool running water. Set aside.
- Place a couple inches of cold water in your sink. Add the green beans.
- Swish the beans around to wash them, removing any leaves or debris.
- Lift the beans out of the wash water. Place in a colander to drain.
- One at a time, snap the ends off the beans, removing any strings as you go.
- Discard the end pieces.
- Snap each bean into bite sized pieces.
- Place the beans in a large stock pot and cover with water by about 3 inches.
- Add the red potatoes. Cut them into quarters if preferred.
- Add the bacon grease.
- Add the sugar.
- Place on stove top over Medium High heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to Medium and let cook for one hour.
- Add the black pepper.
- Add the salt. Stir well.
- Continue to cook the beans and potatoes until done as desired.
Ham hock, hog jowl, side meat or fat back can be used as a good Southern type seasoning instead of the bacon grease.
Keywords: Green Beans with Potatoes, red potatoes, beans and taters