Easy, step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions that teach you how to make Southern Fried Chicken Livers at home. Printable recipe included.
- 1lb Chicken Livers
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Oil for frying
- Place chicken livers in a colander and rinse gently but well. Let drain for a few minutes.
- Remove from colander, cut and trim any connective tissue or fat if desired.
- Place livers in a small bowl.
- Add the buttermilk. Stir gently to coat the livers.
- Add salt.
- Add black pepper.
- Stir gently and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Place flour in a small bowl or tray.
- Remove the livers from the buttermilk, shaking each one gently to remove excess liquid.
- Place the livers in the flour, turning gently to fully coat the liver.
- One at a time, dip the livers back in the buttermilk, then place back into the flour.
- Toss gently to coat with flour again.
- Remove from flour, place on foil lined pan. Let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Add oil to cast iron skillet to a depth of about one inch.
- Bring oil up to 350F degrees for frying.
- Gently lower livers, one at a time, into the hot oil.
- Use a splatter screen while frying if available as the livers will often pop and splatter while cooking.
- Fry liver until lightly browned on the bottom, then flip over, frying about 2-3 minutes per side.
- When done, remove from skillet and place on a brown paper bag or wire rack to drain.
- Sprinkle lightly with additional salt and black pepper if desired for added flavor.
- Serve warm if possible. They cool quickly.
Keywords: southern fried chicken livers recipe, southern, easy