Follow our easy, step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe to make this five flavored pound cake. We developed this cake for Southern Flavoring Company of Bedford, Virginia, makers of Happy Home Flavorings. Southern Flavoring Company has been the “secret ingredient” in cakes, pies and all types of desserts since 1929. We’re using five of our favorite flavors for a truly delicious and moist pound cake. Mama used Happy Home Flavoring for years, chances are your mom did too.
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Natural Vanilla Flavor®
- 1 teaspoon Natural Almond Flavor®
- 1 teaspoon Natural Lemon Flavor®
- 1 teaspoon Imitation Coconut Flavor®
- 1 teaspoon Imitation Butter-Nut Flavor®
- 3 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1–1/2 Cups Butter, softened (3 sticks)
- 5 Large Eggs, at room temperature
Preheat oven to 325°F
- Eggs, Butter, and Buttermilk should be at room temperature before mixing.
- Measure 3 level cups of flour into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add Baking Powder.
- Use a whisk and fully mix the flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
- Measure Buttermilk into a small mixing bowl.
- Add Pure Vanilla Extract®
- Add Natural Almond Flavor®
- Add Natural Lemon Flavor®
- Add Imitation Coconut Flavor®
- Add Imitation Butter-Nut Flavor®
- Mix flavorings and buttermilk together well with a spoon. Set aside.
- Place softened butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, cream the butter well for about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the sugar to the butter, creaming together well until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating lightly on low speed after each addition just to incorporate the egg.
- Alternate adding flour-buttermilk-flour, about 1/3 at a time each, until incorporated.
- Do not overbeat the mixture. It’s even better to mix by hand in the final stage.
- Grease and lightly flour your baking pan, or spray well with non-stick cooking spray with flour.
- Spoon batter into the pan. Level the top of the batter inside the pan.
- Place pan on middle rack of preheated oven.
- Bake for 50 to 65 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes
- Turn cake out of pan onto wire rack. Cool completely before slicing.
Keywords: Southern Flavors Pound Cake Recipe, made from scratch, buttermilk pound cake, five flavors pound cake, Southern Flavoring Company