Step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making our Southern Corn Sticks. Try our delicious, crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside made from scratch Corn Sticks. These are truly simple and easy to make for a quick addition to any meal. Serve them up good and warm with a drizzle of butter on top. Whatcha waiting for? Let’s make some old fashioned Corn Sticks.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self rising flour
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1 egg lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 425º
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add 1 cup of Yellow Cornmeal
- Add Self-Rising Flour
- Add Sugar
- Add Salt
- Mix all the dry ingredients well.
- Add some oil to your sectioned baking pan and place it in the warm oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Add buttermilk to the dry ingredients and stir to lightly mix.
- Add the oil.
- Slightly beat the egg and add to the mixture, stir all ingredients to light incorporate them together.
- Carefully remove the hot pan from oven, spoon batter into each section until the section is full.
- Place back in oven and bake at 425º for about 15-20 minutes or until lightly brown on top.
- Remove to a cooking rack, brush with butter if desired.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!
Can be made with All-Purpose Flour. You just need to add 1 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Powder and 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda to the dry ingredients if you use it instead of Self-Rising.
Corn Sticks can be re-heated or baked and frozen for later if desired.
Keywords: Southern Corn Sticks Made From Scratch, old fashioned, corn bread, southern recipes, cast iron