Follow our step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe for making this delicious Rhubarb Pie. No Strawberries are included, and we use a Crumble Topping as opposed to a regular top crust. We’ll also share our review of the OXO Greensaver produce keepers, and the story behind making our pie. A printable recipe is also included.
- 1 prepared Pie Crust, see our recipe
- 4 cups Rhubarb, sliced
- 1 cup Sugar
- 6 Tablespoons Flour
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, melted.
Ingredients: Crumble Topping
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Light Brown Sugar, lightly packed
- ¼ cup Old Fashioned Oats
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, cubed into small pieces
- Prepare pie crust in dish, place in refrigerator to chill until needed.
- Trim ends from rhubarb, rinse under cold water, slice into ½ inch slices.
- Place the sliced rhubarb in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar.
- Add flour.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add salt.
- Toss all ingredients until rhubarb is well coated. Set aside.
- (Note: We’ll add the melted butter when we assemble the pie.)
Prepare the Crumb Topping
- Place ½ cup of flour in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add brown sugar.
- Add old fashioned oats.
- Add ground nutmeg.
- Add cinnamon.
- Add salt.
- Mix ingredients well to combine.
- Add the cubes of butter.
- Using two knives, cut the butter into the mixture until it’s coarse in texture.
- Set aside.
To assemble the pie:
- Mix 1 teaspoon Sugar and 1 teaspoon flour together, sprinkle in bottom of pie crust.
- Melt the 3 Tablespoons of butter from the filling, pour over rhubarb mixture, stir to combine.
- Spread the pie filling into the chilled pie crust.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping over the filling.
- Place pie on a baking sheet, in case of spills.
- Place pie, on middle rack, in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Shield the outer edges of the crust with strips of aluminum foil, or with a pie shield.
- Rotate pie, REDUCE HEAT to 350 degrees.
- Continue to bake pie for another 25-35 minutes, until lightly browned.
- If center is getting too brown, cover with a sheet of aluminum foil until the rhubarb is tender.
- Remove from oven, place on a wire rack, let cool to firm up.
Keywords: Rhubarb Pie with Crumble Topping Recipe, made from scratch, pie,