Follow easy step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making our Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie recipe, from scratch. We’re using fresh pumpkin and a homemade pie crust for this slightly sweet dessert. A little Ground Ginger is the only spice ingredient in our pie so you can enjoy the fresh taste of pumpkin in every bite.
- 2 cups Cheese Pumpkin, or Sugar Pumpkin, baked and mashed.
- 1 prepared Pie Crust
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Evaporated Milk
- ½ stick Butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
Preheat oven to 400º.
- Rinse the outside of the pumpkin under cool running water, pat dry.
- Carefully slice the pumpkin in half. You’ll need a sharp knife, it’s tough.
- Slip your fingers under the seeds, lift up, and remove seeds. Do not discard.
- Scoop out any remaining membrane and strings.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with a coat of oil.
- Place pumpkin halves on foil, split side down.
- Bake at 400º for 35-40 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from oven, let cool.
- Using a large spoon, scoop out the insides of the pumpkin and place in a large mixing bowl.
Prepare the Pumpkin Pie.
- Using a potato masher, or fork, mash the pumpkin until it’s as smooth as possible.
- Add sugar.
- Add evaporated milk.
- Add salt.
- Add ground ginger.
- Add melted butter.
- Use a fork and mix this all together really good.
- Break eggs into a small bowl, then add them to the filling.
- Again, with a fork, mix this together until the eggs and butter are well incorporated.
- Butter your pie plate really well, and place the prepared crust in the dish.
- Place the pie crust dish on a baking sheet.
- Pour filling into prepared pie crust, letting it spread out evenly.
Bake at 400º for 10 minutes ONLY.
- REDUCE HEAT to 350ºF and bake 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out dry.
- If crust edges begin to brown or burn, cover with strips of aluminum foil until the pie is fully baked.
- Remove from oven, place on a wire rack and let cool.
You could certainly use a ready made crust, but I hope you’ll check out my Basic Pie Crust recipe and make your own. You can do it.
Keywords: Pumpkin Pie Recipe, made from scratch, old fashioned, southern pumpkin pie, southern recipes