Follow our step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making delicious Pulled Pork BBQ in your oven. We’re using a dry rub to give the outside a bit of that crispy bark all the championship pit masters go for and, we’re including recipes for both the dry rub and our Eastern North Carolina style Barbecue Sauce. We’re roasting it low and slow in the oven but you could also do it on the grill.
- 1 Boston Butt or picnic, about 8–10 lbs in weight.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Liquid Smoke
- Yellow Mustard
- Dry Rub, use my recipe or your favorite.
Steve’s Butt Rub Recipe:
- 2 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoon Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoon Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
- Place all spices in a jar and shake well. Store any leftovers in a tightly closed jar.
NC Eastern Style Vinegar Based Sauce Recipe:
- 2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Texas Pete Sauce, or favorite hot sauce
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Place all ingredients in a sauce pot and bring to low simmer, let simmer 20 minutes, remove from heat.
- Wash the Boston Butt under cold running water, pat dry with paper towels.
- Trim away any excess fat or loose pieces. Do not remove the bottom “fat cap” or skin layer.
- Cut out any veins if visible.
- Sprinkle on some of the Worcestershire Sauce
- Sprinkle on just a little of the Liquid Smoke, not too much.
- Rub these two liquids into the meat, getting under any flaps of meat as well.
- Spread a layer of mustard over the meat and rub it around to coat all sides.
- Sprinkle a light layer of dry rub all over the meat, pat it into the meat with your fingers.
- Wrap securely in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 250º.
- Remove meat from refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap.
- Place meat in foil lined shallow roasting pan and place in oven.
- After 4 hours, mop on some of the sauce recipe about once each hour until meat is done.
- Meat should reach internal temperature of 190º to be done. About 1 hour per pound of meat.
- Remove from oven, wrap tightly in foil, then wrap in a towel.
- Set aside on your counter or, place in cooler and, let rest for one hour.
- Pull the meat apart, chop if desired. Add vinegar sauce as desired.
Cooking time is based on about one hour per pound of meat.
Keywords: Pulled Pork BBQ in the oven Recipe, boston butt, made from scratch, dry rub, bbq, barbecue, Eastern North Carolina, southern recipes