Step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making Fried Pork Chops with Pan Gravy.
- 4 Pork Chops, about ½ inch thick
- 1 cup Self-Rising Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil, Lard, or Shortening
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease
- 3 cups Hot Water, approximately
- Rinse the pork chops under cool running water.
- Place on paper towels and pat dry.
- Sprinkle the chops with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Place the flour in a small container to dredge the chops in.
- Coat each chop lightly with the flour mixture, on both sides and edges.
- Place the chops on a wire rack. Let rest for about 15 minutes.
- Place your skillet over Medium heat on your stove top.
- When pan is hot, add your oil of choice, and the bacon grease.
- When oil is hot, carefully add the chops to the skillet.
- Let the chops brown on both sides, about 4 minutes each side depending on thickness.
- Remove chops from pan and place on a plate.
To Make Gravy
- Remove all but about 3 Tablespoons of oil from the skillet.
- Sprinkle about 2 Tablespoons of flour over the oil in the skillet.
- Quickly stir the flour into the oil and let it brown for about one minute.
- Add the hot water, stirring vigorously to remove any lumps.
- Place the pork chops back in the skillet with the gravy.
- REDUCE the heat. Cover the skillet.
- Let pork chops simmer covered, for about 20 minutes or until tender and done.
- Serve warm.
Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
Keywords: Pork Chops with Gravy Recipe, pan fried, pan gravy, southern recipes