Follow our step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe for making this old Southern favorite of Pork Backbone and Rice. Just a few simple ingredients are all you’ll need to complete our super easy recipe. It’s a great way to take advantage of the low price of pork backbone, and stretch it out into a great family meal.
- 3lb Pork Backbone, sliced
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon Bacon Grease
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of Sage
- 1 cup Rice, uncooked
- 6 cups Water
- Dice the onion.
- Place a 6 quart pot on Medium-heat on your stove top.
- Add the bacon grease.
- Add the onions, sauté until onions are slightly translucent.
- Add the backbones. Brown slightly on all sides, about one minute.
- Add water.
- Add salt.
- Add black pepper.
- Add apple cider vinegar.
- Add sage.
- Bring mixture to a slight boil. Cover. Reduce to Medium-low heat.
- Simmer on low heat for about 45-60 minutes, or until meat can be easily removed from the bone.
- Add the rice.
- Cover pot and simmer another 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Leave covered and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Keywords: Pork Backbone and Rice Recipe, backbone, rice, southern recipes, made from scratch, soul food