Try this delicious Homemade Peach Ice Cream with a twist. We’ve replaced some of the sugar with our homemade Peach Preserves. Store bought preserves will work just fine and the results are just…well….peachy. It’s a perfect cool and refreshing treat for a hot summer day. Make the ice cream base a day or two ahead of time if needed, then you can just add some ice and salt to the ice cream maker and crank out a new family favorite that everyone will enjoy.
- 4 – Fresh Peaches, peeled, pitted, chopped.
- 5 – Egg Yolks
- 1 – cup of packed Light Brown Sugar
- 2 – cups of Whole Milk…plus more, as needed.
- 1 – can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 – cup of prepared Peach Preserves
- 3 – Tablespoons of fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 – Tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 – teaspoon of Salt
- Peel or process the peaches to remove the skins. Remove the pits and chop into small bite sized pieces. Place in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle 3 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice over the peaches, stir, set aside.
- In a large bowl, add Egg Yolks, Brown Sugar and Salt. Whisk well.
- Place a medium sized saucepan over Medium Heat.
- Add Whole Milk and Sweetened Condensed Milk, stirring continously.
- Using a candy thermometer, bring the milk up to 170º for about one minute.
- Slowly add just a little of the warmed milk into the egg yolk and sugar mixture. Add it slowly and whisk quickly to temper the eggs.
- Continue to whisk and add milk until it’s all incorporated with the eggs and sugar mixture. Pour this back into the saucepan.
- Add the chopped peaches.
- Add the Vanilla Extract. Stir to combine.
- Cook this mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it again reaches 170º.
- The custard is ready when it has reduced and thickened enough that it coats the back of a spoon. Wipe your finger across the spoon and if it leaves a trail, the custard base is ready.
- Place the saucepan in your sink and surround with cold water. Stir it often as it cools.
- Cover and refrigerate the Ice Cream Base Mix for at least 24 hours.
- Use this base mixture and enough extra whole milk to reach the Fill Line on your particular brand of Ice Cream Freezer.
- Follow manufacturers instructions for your freezer to make Ice Cream.
Canned peaches could easily be substituted for the fresh if needed. Your favorite brand of prepared Peach Preserves could also be used if you don’t make your own.
Keywords: Peach Preserve Ice Cream, made from scratch, fresh peaches, old fashioned, ice cream freezer, southern recipes