Follow step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions on how to prepare our Pan Fried Brook Trout Recipe. We’re using this popular game fish in our recipe, but it’s easily adaptable to a variety of other fish as well. Pull out that cast iron skillet, a little lard, and let’s cook up a mess of fish.
- 1 – 2 lbs of Fresh Fish
- ½ cup Corn Meal
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Dash of Cayenne Pepper
- 2–3 Tablespoons Lard or Oil for frying.
- Place the dry ingredients in a bowl or dish and mix well.
- Rinse fish, inside and out, under cold running water.
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel or clean cloth.
- Lightly coat fish on both sides, shake off any excess breading and set aside.
- Heat skillet over Medium heat.
- Add lard or oil to lightly cover skillet.
- When oil is hot, place breaded fish in the pan.
- Let cook about 2-3 minutes and then flip over.
- Flip fish about every 3 minutes until done.
- Remove from skillet and place on folded paper towels to drain off excess grease.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Keywords: Pan Fried Brook Trout Recipe, brook trout, made from scratch, fish recipe, our state magazine, southern recipes