Follow our step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for this Pan Fried Bluefish Recipe. These saltwater fish are absolutely delicious and easy to pan fry in your cast iron skillet. Just add a simple breading, pan fry and enjoy.
- 1 pound of Bluefish Fillets, or fish of your choice.
- 1 cup of All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup of Cornmeal
- 1 cup of Milk
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- Oil for frying
- Lightly rinse fish fillets and place on paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Setup your dredging station with flour, milk, cornmeal, each in separate containers.
- Dredge each fillet, one at a time, through the flour, coating both sides well.
- Dip into milk, coating both sides, place fillets side by side on a plate.
- Sprinkle fillets lightly with seasonings, Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Paprika.
- Dredge fillets, one at a time, through the cornmeal, coating both sides.
- Place coated fillets, side by side on a plate and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Add about 1/2 inch to a skillet placed over medium to medium-high heat.
- Test oil for proper frying temperature by sprinkling a pinch of cornmeal into the oil. If it sinks to the bottom, oil is not hot enough. If the cornmeal “dances” across the top, oil is ready. If using a thermometer, oil should be at about 350º or slightly higher.
- Carefully add fillets, one at a time, into the hot oil. It’s hot and may splatter so use caution.
- Add other fillets into the pan, one at a time but do not crowd the pan. They need room to cook.
- Cook fillets for about 2-3 minutes or until the bottom edges begin to slightly brown.
- Carefully turn each fillet and let cook another 1-2 minutes until done.
- Remove fillets from hot oil, place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
This recipe can be used for most any type of good frying fish. Season to taste according to your personal preferences. Fillets may also be fried in a deep fryer if you have one.
Keywords: Pan Fried Bluefish Recipe, made from scratch, oak island, fishing, southern recipes