Follow our complete, step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions to make this homemade, Old Fashioned Pineapple Cake Recipe. We make the layers from scratch, and the frosting from scratch. I think you’ll love the old fashioned frosting on this one.
- 2–4 Yellow Cake Layers
For the Frosting
- 1 can Evaporated Milk (large)
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 Egg Yolks
- ½ cup Butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 can Crushed Pineapple, (20oz) drained
Prepare the Frosting
- In a medium sauce pot, add the following ingredients.
- Add milk.
- Add sugar.
- Add egg yolks.
- Add butter.
- Add vanilla.
- Place sauce pot on a COLD burner, then turn heat on to medium.
- Cook, stirring constantly to avoid making scrambled eggs, until thick, about 12 minutes.
- Add the drained crushed pineapple, stir together.
- Spread frosting between layers, on top, and sides.
You could use a boxed cake mix for the layers if you like. I’ve got a complete step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe for making Basic Cake Layers on Taste of Southern that will make this cake truly homemade from scratch.
Keywords: Pineapple Cake Recipe, old fashioned pineapple cake, made from scratch, southern recipes. southern cakes