Step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions to make our Okra and Tomatoes. Visit the complete recipe online at Taste of Southern.com.
- 1lb Okra
- 3—4 medium Tomatoes
- 1 medium Onion
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease, optional
- Oil for frying.
- Wash the tomatoes and okra under cool running water.
- Dice the onions.
- Place a skillet over Medium heat on your stove top.
- Add just enough oil to lightly coat the pan.
- Add bacon grease for seasoning if desired.
- When pan is hot, add the onions. Stir to coat with oil.
- Let the onions cook for several minutes while you prepare the tomatoes.
- Dice the tomatoes into larger sized pieces.
- Add the tomatoes to the skillet.
- Remove the ends from the okra and discard the pieces.
- Slice the okra pods into about ½ inch slices.
- Add the okra to the skillet.
- Add the black pepper, the salt and the sugar. Stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat slightly, and continue to stir and cook uncovered.
- Add a little warm water if needed to keep the vegetables moist.
- Cook until the okra is as tender as desired.
- Serve warm.
Can also be made with canned tomatoes and frozen okra if desired.
Keywords: Okra and Tomatoes, okra, tomatoes, easy,