Follow step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making these mouth watering Southern Buttermilk Biscuits. We’re making them from scratch, just the way mama taught us years ago. Only three ingredients are needed and we do it all by hand without using a cutter. You can finally make biscuits you’ll be proud to serve. Printable recipe included.
- 4 cups Self-Rising Flour, sifted
- 1 ½ cups Buttermilk
- ¼ cup Lard
- Preheat oven to 500ºF..
- Lightly grease a baking pan or skillet with lard or butter.
- Fill a sifter with flour, about 4 cups. Sift flour into a large wide bowl.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour with your hand.
- Add Lard
- Add Buttermilk
- Squish the lard and buttermilk together with your fingers until lard is in small clumps.
- Place fingers straight down into the center of the bowl and start making small circles.
- Continue to stir, in small circles, while gradually working in flour from the sides of the bowl.
- You’ll work in most of the flour but probably not all it.
- Sprinkle the dough ball with more flour and fold dough over on top of itself a time or two.
- Knead the dough only a few times until it’s fairly smooth then shape into a rectangle.
- Clean any dough off of your hands before proceeding.
- Flour both hands prior to starting to shape and form the biscuits.
- Use your fingers and pinch off a section of dough just a little larger than a golf ball.
- Roll this ball in the palms of your hands to smooth it out using slightly firm pressure at first and then lighter pressure as it becomes a bit sticky again. Try not to over work the dough at this point.
- Drop the ball back in the flour and coat lightly with flour.
- Roll the ball in the palm of your hand another second or two and then flatten it like a hamburger patty.
- Place the biscuit dough on your greased baking sheet or in a cast iron skillet.
- Sides should be touching for a softer biscuit edge or separated one inch for a crispy edge.
- Repeat the process until the dough is used up or your skillet is filled.
- Use the back of your fingers and gently press down on each biscuit.
- Place the pan of biscuits in the preheated oven and bake 8-12 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- Use caution because the pans are hot as you remove the baked biscuits from the oven.
- Brush melted butter on top of each biscuit.
- Cover the biscuits with a clean towel and let rest for a few minutes prior to serving.
- Serve while still warm and Enjoy!
Keywords: Mama's Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe, made from scratch, lard, buttermilk, our state magazine, southern recipes