You’ve heard me talk about it…now…you can cook one of your very own. It’s really a very quick and easy way to fix a scrumptious dessert. Mama Ruth uses a boxed cake mix and just a few other simple ingredients. You can make it with fresh Strawberries or, use some of the ones from your freezer or grocer. You’re gonna love it. Thank You Mama Ruth!
- 1 – Quart of Fresh Strawberries, prepared and sweetened
- 1 – Box of Duncan Hines White Cake Mix
- 1 – 8oz. Package of Cream Cheese
- 1 – 12oz. Carton of Cool Whip
- 1 – cup of Sugar – divided into ½ cups each if using fresh berries
- 1 – Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 – cup of Strawberry Juice, reserved from above.
- Preheat oven as needed.
- Prepare the cake mix as directed on the box.
- Bake as directed.
- Remove caps, wash and slice one quart of fresh strawberries.
- In a medium saucepan, add strawberries and sugar. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, remove from heat and set aside.
- Reserve about 1/4th to 1/2 cup of the Strawberry juice for later.
- While cake is still hot, poke holes in top with skewer or fork.
- Spoon the strawberry mixture over the top. Set cake aside and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and reserved strawberry juice.
- Mix gently to incorporate ingredients.
- Add room temperature cool whip, mix until fluffy with mixer.
- Spread on cool cake, refrigerate for at least one hour if possible.
- Serve and enjoy.
If you like, slice some fresh Strawberries and place along the top of the cake.
Keywords: Mama Ruths' Strawberry Cake Recipe, fresh strawberries, strawberry, cake, southern recipes, Mama Ruth