Follow these step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for our Liver and Onions Recipe complete with a printable recipe. I know, it’s an acquired taste but, it’s certainly worth giving this old southern favorite a try. It’s quick and easy and goes great with rice or mashed potatoes.
- 1 lb of Beef Liver
- 1 Onion, large, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup Flour
- ½ cup Shortening or Oil for frying.
- Place liver in a colander and drain.
- Carefully spread liver pieces out in a pan, set aside.
- Remove ends and skin from onion. Slice to desired thickness.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and add 2 Tablespoons butter.
- Add sliced onions to the skillet.
- Fry onions until translucent & slightly brown, stirring as needed, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove onions from skillet, set aside.
- Set up a dredge station by placing flour in a dish or bowl.
- Sprinkle liver with Salt, Black Pepper and Paprika to taste.
- Dredge liver pieces in flour, coating both sides. Shake off any excess and set aside.
- Add oil to skillet, let warm up for about 3 minutes.
- Place liver slices in skillet, brown the bottom for about 3-4 minutes.
- Flip liver slices over, let brown about 3 more minutes, do not over cook.
- You may cut a slice of the liver to test for doneness.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!
You may soak the liver slices in milk for about 20 minutes to help remove some of the taste of the liver if desired. Do this before proceeding with the recipe. You can also use the pan drippings to make a gravy. Place almost cooked slices and the onions back in the pan, cover and simmer together for about 15 minutes. Serve over rice or with a side of mashed potatoes.
Keywords: Liver and Onions Recipe, made from scratch, beef liver, old fashioned, southern recipes, southern