Follow our easy, step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe to make this delicious Key Lime Pie dessert. We’ll make the Graham Cracker crust, then squeeze some limes to make the filling. An egg meringue topping finishes it off, but you could leave it plain, or maybe add some whipped cream, the choice is yours. Either way, you’re going to love this one.
- 1 ¼ cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 6 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- 3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Almond or Vanilla Extract
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ¼ cup Evaporated Milk
- ½ cup Key Lime Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 3 Egg Yolks, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon grated Lime zest
- Green Food Coloring, about 2 drops, optional
- 3 Egg Whites, at room temperature
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- Dash of Salt
For The Crust:
- Place graham cracker crumbs in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add granulated sugar.
- Add the melted butter.
- Add either the almond, or vanilla extract.
- Stir mixture together until all crumbs are coated.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9” pie plate.
- Spread the crust mixture in the plate, press firmly into bottom and sides.
- Work the crumb mixture up the sides, bringing up to the top rim.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
For The Filling:
- Grate 2 teaspoons of zest from Limes, set aside. Always remove zest before juicing.
- Squeeze the juice from the limes, set aside
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon, set aside.
- Place three egg yolks in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add sweetened condensed milk.
- Add evaporated milk.
- Using a hand mixer, stir together until creamy and light in color, about 2 minutes.
- Add the lime juice.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Add the grated lime zest.
- Add one or two drops of green food coloring, if desired. Totally optional.
- Stir together, just until combined.
- Pour filling into cooled crust.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes, or until center is firm.
For The Meringue:
- Use a clean, dry, glass or metal mixing bowl.
- Add the egg whites.
- Beat egg whites until frothy looking.
- Add cream of tartar.
- Beat again, until soft peaks form.
- Add pinch of salt.
- Add sugar, a little at a time, as you continue to whip the mixture together.
- Whip egg whites together until you get strong stiff peaks. Do not over whip.
- Spread the egg whites over the hot pie.
- Tap the spatula up and down in the meringue to make some peaks.
- Return pie to oven.
- Continue to bake at 350° until slightly browned on top, about 8-10 minutes, but watch closely.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature.
This pie features an Egg Meringue topping, but it can be made using a Whipped Cream topping, like Cool Whip. It can also be left plain, without any topping at all. Make it the way you like and make it your own. Enjoy!
Keywords: Key Lime Pie Recipe, made from scratch, lemons, limes, key lime, southern recipes