Easy to follow, step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions on how to make and can Peach Butter. This really simple recipe only calls for sugar and peaches, and is a great way of “Saving Summer In A Jar,” so you can enjoy the delicious taste of peaches all year around. We show you how to make it, and then how to can it, using the water bath process. Printable recipe included.
- 4 lbs fresh Peaches
- 3 cups Sugar
- Wash peaches in cold water to remove dirt and fuzz.
- Cut an X mark on the stem end of each peach.
- Blanch peaches in boiling water for about one minute.
- Plunge peaches in ice water and let set for two minutes.
- Peel away skins, slice and remove the pit.
- Place peaches and ½ cup water in a large sauce pot.
- Simmer over medium heat until peaches are soft.
- Puree peaches with a food processor being careful not to liquefy them.
To Make Butter:
- Combine peach pulp and sugar in a large saucepot.
- Cook over medium heat until thick enough to round up on a spoon.
- Stir mixture frequently as it thickens to prevent sticking.
- Wash jars in warm soapy water, rinse and place in a large pot.
- Bring jars to a low boil and boil for at least 10 minutes to sterilize.
- Place lids and bands in warm (not boiling) water.
- Setup your area to process the butter.
- Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving ¼ inch head space.
- Remove any air bubbles.
- Wipe rim of jar to remove any food particles.
- Adjust two piece caps on jar and tighten finger tight.
- Process in a water bath canning pot for 10 minutes.
- Remove and place on cloth towel in a draft free area.
- Do not move jars for 24 hours to allow for proper seal.
- Test jars after 24 hours to determine they have properly sealed.
- Peach Butter will keep up to one year in storage.
This recipe is adapted from the Ball Blue Book guide to preserving as published in 2010. Their recipe called for 4 cups of sugar to 4lbs of peaches. I reduced that down to just 3 cups of sugar in order to have more of the taste of peach itself and to use less sugar.
Keywords: How To Make and Can Peach Butter Recipe, step-by-step, made from scratch, home food preservation, southern recipes