Follow easy, step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making our Homemade Cornbread Dressing, from scratch. This quick and easy side dish is best when made a day or two ahead of time and then baked when needed. So, you can get some of that big meal made and ready for the oven, without having to rush yourself on the big day. Perfect for Thanksgiving Dinner, great anytime of the year. Printable recipe included.
- 1 Skillet of baked Cornbread
- 3–4 Biscuits, crumbled
- 1 can Chicken Broth
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- 4 Eggs, slightly Beaten
- 2 cups Onion, chopped fine
- 2 cups Celery, chopped fine
- 1 cup Carrot, chopped fine
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Sage, optional
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Dice the onions, carrot and celery.
- Cook the vegetables in a Tablespoon of butter until tender
- In a large mixing bowl, crumble up the cornbread into small chunks.
- Add the biscuits, crumbling it up as well.
- Add Sugar
- Add Black Pepper.
- Add chopped Parsley.
- Add Thyme
- Add Ground Sage.
- Add Salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients well.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the bread mixture. Stir well.
- Add the melted butter.
- Add Chicken Broth, stir gently to moisten bread mixture.
- Taste the mixture to see if any additional salt or seasoning is needed. Adjust accordingly.
- Lightly whisk the eggs with a fork and add to the mixture. Stir until mixed.
- Add additional Chicken Broth if needed. Mixture should be moist but not soupy.
- Spread the mixture evenly in a 9x13x2 inch buttered baking dish.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight if possible.
Preheat oven to 350º.
- Allow dressing to come to room temperature before baking, about one hour.
- Bake at 350º for 45-60 minutes or until it tests done.
- Serve the dressing while warm.
Best if made a day or two ahead of time and refrigerated. Be sure to sit it out for about an hour to let it come up to near room temperature before you bake it.
Keywords: Homemade Cornbread Dressing Recipe, holiday menu, Thanksgiving, Christmas, made from scratch, southern recipes, gravy