Follow our complete, step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe to make this Hog Jowl and Turnip Greens recipe. Adapted from an old slave cabin cooking recipe, this recipe is most often served at breakfast with poached eggs.
- 1 bunch Turnip Greens with Turnips, about 3lb total
- 1 Smoked Hog Jowl, about 8 ounces
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Rinse the hog jowl under cold running water.
- Place jowl in a large sauce pot. Fill about 3/4ths with water.
- Place on Medium heat, bring to a low boil.
- Simmer hog jowl for about one hour or until done. 165F degrees.
- Prepare the greens and turnips while the jowl is cooking.
- Remove any large stems from the greens. Discard stems.
- Fill sink with cool water, add greens, wash well to remove dirt and bugs.
- Repeat about three times until the greens are clean.
- Remove jowl from water when done. Set aside for now.
- Add the turnip greens to the liquid in the sauce pot.
- Peel and cube the turnips. Add to sauce pot with greens.
- Add the sugar.
- Cook greens and diced turnips uncovered for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove greens from pot and place in another bowl.
- Use a food chopper to chop the greens into bite sized pieces.
- Add the remaining cooked turnips.
- Serve with poached eggs and sliced hog jowl for breakfast.
Keywords: Hog Jowl with Turnip Greens Recipe, hog jowl and turnip salat, southern recipes