Step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe for making our Hamburger Casserole as seen on Taste of Southern.com.
- 2 lbs. Lean Ground Beef, browned
- 1 small Onion
- 5 small Potatoes
- 2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 ½ cups Cheddar or Colby Jack Mix cheese
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Lightly spray a 9×13 inch casserole baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Brown ground beef, drain, set beef aside.
- Slice the onion, into rounds, then into quarters.
- Place the mushroom soup in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add the milk.
- Add the salt.
- Add the pepper.
- Mix well and set mixture aside.
- Rinse and slice the potatoes into 1/8 inch thick slices.
- Place a layer of potatoes in the casserole dish.
- Add a layer of the beef.
- Add a layer of onions.
- Add a layer of soup mixture.
- Add layer of cheese. Reserve ½ cup of cheese for topping later.
- Repeat the layering process ending with the soup mixture.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350F degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for another 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from oven, place on wire rack, let cool for 10 minutes.
I used a Cheddar and Colby Jack cheese mixture. Use just Cheddar if you prefer.
Keywords: Hamburger potato casserole, hamburger casserole, mushroom soup, easy