Follow our complete, step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe to make this delicious home made soup. I hope you’re saving those ham bones from your holiday hams, its just what you need for this soup. Ham hocks can be used instead though if need be.
- 1 Ham Bone
- 1 can of crushed Tomatoes, 28oz
- 1 cup of Butter Beans (lima beans), cooked or uncooked.
- 1 stalk of Celery
- 1 large Carrot
- 1 small Onion
- 3 medium Red Potatoes
- 1 half head of small Cabbage
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Salt, to taste as needed.
- Place ham bone in large Dutch oven pot, cover with water.
- Place over medium heat. Let simmer for one hour.
- Remove the ham bone and let it cool after one hour is up.
- Rinse the vegetables under cold running water.
- Dice the carrot, add to the broth in the pot.
- Dice the celery, add to broth.
- Dice the onion, add to broth.
- Cube the potatoes, add to broth.
- Slice the cabbage, add to broth.
- Add the butter beans.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Add sugar.
- Add black pepper.
- Remove meat from the ham bone, add it to the soup.
- Bring to a low boil, let simmer until all vegetables are tender.
- Taste and add salt or pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.
If you don’t have a leftover ham bone, you can easily substitute a ham hock or some other type of pork seasoning to add to your broth. Use whatever vegetables, leftover vegetables etc. that you might have on hand and need to use up right away. Make it your own recipe.
Keywords: Ham Bone Soup Recipe, leftover ham bone, made from scratch, southern recipes,