Follow easy, step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making this delicious Ham Bone Beans recipe. Use that leftover ham bone, or ham hock, to make this creamy bean dish that can be served as a side dish or a main dish either one. We’ll show you how to make it and we’ve got a printable recipe to go with it.
- 1 leftover Ham Bone or Ham Hocks.
- 1 package dry Northern Beans
- 1 small Onion
- 1 stick Celery
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- Sort through dry beans removing any sticks, stones or other foreign items.
- Soak beans in water overnight.
- Drain beans, rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Place the cooked ham bone or ham hocks in a large sauce pan.
- Add the dry beans.
- Add enough water to cover the beans and bones by about three inches.
- Place over medium heat, bring to a low boil and let cook for one hour.
- Remove the bone, set aside and let cool.
- Add chopped onion.
- Add chopped celery.
- Add sugar.
- Add salt.
- Add Black Pepper and stir well.
- Remove any meat from the bone and discard the bone.
- Return the meat to the pot with the beans.
- Continue to cook the beans until they are soft and tender.
- Taste the beans and add additional salt and/or black pepper to taste.
- Mix flour and water, removing any large lumps as you stir.
- Stir the mixture in the beans and let cook for a few minutes longer to thicken.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Keywords: Ham Bone Beans Recipe, ham hock, made from scratch, northern beans, southern recipes