Follow step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for creating this old southern favorite of Fried Chicken with Gravy. We’ll show you how to fry the chicken in your cast iron skillet. Once the chicken is complete, we’ll use the brown bits remaining in the skillet to make our country gravy, just like your Mother and Grandmother did.
- 1 – Whole Fryer, cut up (3-4lb)
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Lard or shortening, for frying.
Ingredients for Gravy:
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 4 Tablespoons Flour
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
To Fry The Chicken:
- Remove neck and giblet pieces from inside chicken cavity. Set aside.
- Rinse chicken, inside and out, under cold running water.
- Carefully cut up the chicken, reserving backbone and giblets for making stock.
- Spread chicken pieces out on a sheet pan.
- Sprinkle both sides with Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Place about 2 cups of flour in a mixing bowl.
- One at a time, dredge the chicken pieces in the flour, coating both sides and ends.
- Remove chicken, shaking off any excess flour.
- Set the coated chicken back on the sheet pan. Let it rest while you heat up the Lard.
- Heat the lard in a cast iron skillet to 350º for frying.
- Melted lard should be about ¾ of an inch deep inside the skillet.
- Carefully place pieces of floured chicken in the hot oil, skin side down.
- Do not overcrowd the skillet.
- Cover and let the chicken cook for 8 minutes.
- Remove cover and let chicken cook for 8 minutes.
- Carefully turn chicken over, cover the pan and let the chicken cook 8 minutes.
- Remove cover and let chicken cook 8 minutes longer or until done.
- It’s best to test the chicken with a thermometer once you remove the lid so you don’t overcook it.
- Chicken should read 165º internal temperature to be considered done.
- Remove chicken from skillet and place on wire rack or brown paper bag to cool.
To Make The Gravy:
- Carefully pour off the grease in the skillet, leaving about 3 Tablespoons in the pan with the browned bits.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of butter.
- Add 4 Tablespoons Flour, stirring constantly to make a roux.
- Continue to stir the roux, letting it cook for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown in color.
- Add 1 cup cool milk, a little at a time, stirring constantly to break up any lumps.
- Add 1 cup cool water, a little at a time, again stirring constantly until smooth.
- Bring mixture back up to a slight boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until desired consistency.
- Add black pepper.
- Taste the gravy, add salt as needed.
- Place gravy in a gravy boat, or small bowl and serve on the side with the chicken.
- Gravy should be ladled over the chicken once chicken has been served.
Keywords: Fried Chicken with Gravy Recipe, made from scratch, pan gravy, country fried chicken, southern recipes, skillet chicken