Field peas, fresh from the garden, are a great side dish to all types of meals. There’s just a special deliciousness to anything straight out of the garden that you don’t find in canned or frozen items. Here’s a quick and easy side dish that’s perfect for dinner through the week or…on Sunday.
- 3–4 cups of freshly shelled Peas.
- 2 ounces of Pork Side Meat, Bacon or Salt Pork for seasoning.
- 1–2 Spring Onions.
- 1 teaspoon of Sugar.
- 1 teaspoon of Salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon of Black Pepper
- Slice the meat seasoning and place in a saucepot over medium heat.
- Rinse the Spring Onion under cool running water.
- Slice the root end off of the Onion.
- Remove the outer leaf of the onion.
- Slice onion in half, line up pieces and finely chop or slice.
- When done, remove the meat pieces from the pot but leave the grease.
- Add about 2 cups of Water or just enough to cover the peas by about 1 inch.
- Bring the water to a low boil.
- Add the peas.
- Add the onions.
- Add Sugar and stir well.
- Bring back to a low boil. Scoop off any foam that forms and discard it.
- Cover and reduce heat to Medium-Low, let simmer for about 25-35 minutes.
- Taste the peas for doneness, they should be done but not mushy.
- Add Black Pepper.
- Add Salt, stir well and continue to cook if needed until done to taste.
- Chop the meat pieces and add to the peas.
- Garnish with more freshly sliced onion if desired.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!
Keywords: Fresh Field Peas Recipe, made from scratch, six week peas, easy, southern recipes, side meat