Follow our easy, step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe for making this deliciously simple Roast Chicken. Preparation is quick, and you can sit back and relax as it roasts in the oven. Your family will love this and love you for making it for them. Printable recipe included.
- 4-lb Chicken
Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- Chicken should be about room temperature before cooking.
- Remove any giblets from the inside of the chicken.
- Trim away any excess skin or fat. Set aside with giblets, or freeze for stock.
- Rinse the chicken, inside and out, under cold running water.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Salt the inside of the chicken.
- Tie the legs of the chicken together, sealing the cavity, with kitchen twine.
- Place chicken in a roasting dish of choice.
- Salt the chicken all over.
- Sprinkle black pepper all over the chicken.
- Place in oven, and let bake for 15 minutes at 425F degrees.
- REDUCE temp to 350F degrees, cook chicken until done. About 20 minutes per pound.
- Internal temperature of the chicken should be 165F degrees when done.
- Remove chicken from oven. Let rest for 10 minutes prior to carving and serving.
- Use pan drippings to make gravy if desired.
The pan drippings can be used to make gravy if desired. Adding vegetables to the roasting pan just makes the recipe an even easier meal for dinner.
Keywords: Easy Roast Chicken Recipe, made from scratch, chicken with vegetables, southern recipes