This quick and easy coleslaw recipe is a traditional side dish for lots of great southern foods. You’ll find it served up with BBQ, Fried Chicken, Fish and Seafood at most family gatherings. It’s also a favorite on Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and BBQ Sandwiches. Just a few simple ingredients are all you’ll need.
- 1 – medium size Cabbage, grated or chopped.
- 1 – medium size Carrot, grated or chopped.
- 1/2 – cup of Pickles, chopped ( or Sweet Pickle Relish)
- 1/2 – cup of Mayonnaise
- 1/4 – cup of Sugar
- 1 – teaspoon of Vinegar
- 1/2 – teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1/2 – teaspoon of Salt
- Peel away outer layers of cabbage, rinse under cool running water.
- Slice the stem end off of the cabbage.
- Place cabbage on end, cut in half, then cut each half into quarters.
- Grate the cabbage quarters, chopping any larger leftover pieces.
- Grate the carrot.
- Finely chop the pickles.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cabbage.
- Add carrots
- Add pickles
- Add mayonnaise
- Add sugar
- Gently stir the ingredients until fairly well mixed.
- Add black pepper
- Add salt
- Add Vinegar
- Stir the ingredients again until mixed well.
- Serve and Enjoy.
This coleslaw contains mayonnaise and should be kept cool at all times. Refrigerate any leftovers and use within 1-2 days.
Keywords: Creamy Cole Slaw Recipe, made from scratch, Duke's Mayonnaise, southern cole slaw, old fashioned, homemade, southern recipes, cabbage