Follow our easy, step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe to make this old Southern favorite Crackling Bread. We just call it Cracklin Bread, dropping that G, but it’s super easy to make and delicious with just about anything. This is a follow-up recipe using the cracklings we made from rendering our own leaf lard but you can find cracklings available in many grocery stores throughout the South.
- 2 cups Self Rising Corn Meal
- 1 cup Pork Cracklins
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Bacon Grease
Preheat oven to 450°F
- Place bacon grease in cast iron skillet, over Medium heat, let melt.
- Place corn meal in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add eggs.
- Add buttermilk.
- Stir ingredients, adding more buttermilk as needed to make a slightly thin batter.
- Add the cracklins, stir well to combine.
- Pour the melted bacon grease in with the batter, stir again to combine.
- Pour batter into hot skillet, spread out evenly.
- Place skillet in preheated oven.
- Bake 20-25 minutes as needed, until lightly browned on top.
- Remove from oven.
- Run a butter knife around the edges of the cornbread to loosen from skillet.
- Flip bread out onto a plate.
- Top with butter, serve warm.
Keywords: Crackling Bread, cracklin bread, crackling corn bread, made from scratch, southern recipes, buttermilk