Follow step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making not only some great cornbread, but a delicious new treat for breakfast. This old mountain recipe combines leftover cornbread with scrambled eggs, all cooked together, and brings a whole new experience to the breakfast table. First, we’ll make the cornbread, then we’ll show you how to mix it all together to create Cornbread and Eggs. Printable recipe included.
- 2 cups Self-Rising Corn Meal
- 1 cup Self-Rising Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 cup Milk, approximately, as needed.
- Butter and shortening to grease the skillet.
To Make The Cornbread
- Pre-heat your oven to 425º.
- In a large mixing bowl…
- Add Corn Meal
- Add Flour
- Whisk together
- Add Sugar
- Whisk together well.
- Add the egg, stir to break up.
- Stir in enough milk to make the batter the consistency of cake batter.
- Place butter in a warm skillet and let it melt. Swirl around to coat the skillet well.
- Pour in the batter and place the skillet in the oven.
- Bake at 425º for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and pulled away from side of pan.
- Insert a wooden toothpick to test for doneness, if it pulls out clean, bread is done.
- Remove from oven, place on wire rack and let cool 5-10 minutes before removing from pan.
To Make Cornbread and Eggs:
- Place a skillet over Medium heat on your stove top.
- Add about one Tablespoon of butter to the skillet, let it melt.
- Crumble a pie slice section of cornbread into the skillet.
- Stir the cornbread into the butter and let it heat up.
- Break four eggs into a small mixing bowl, whisk well.
- Pour the whisked eggs into the skillet, spreading it over the crumbled cornbread.
- Cornbread will absorb most of the eggs. Stir the mixture and continue to cook for about two minutes, or until the eggs are done.
- Serve while still warm and Enjoy!
Keywords: Cornbread and Eggs Recipe, made from scratch, mountain recipes, southern recipes, breakfast, home made