Follow our complete, step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe for making this old Southern favorite. Chow Chow relish is a great topping for hot dogs, burgers, turkey sandwiches, all kinds of great things. We’ll show you how to make the relish, then water bath can it to preserve it.
- 8 cups chopped Cabbage (1 small head)
- 6 cups chopped Green Tomatoes ( about 4 medium)
- 4 cups chopped Onions (about 2 medium)
- 2 cups chopped Sweet Green Peppers (about 4 small)
- 1 cup chopped Sweet Red Peppers (about 2 small)
- 2 small Cayenne Peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup Salt ( canning and pickling salt)
- 3 cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 teaspoons Celery Seed
- 4 teaspoons Dry Mustard
- 2 teaspoon Mustard Seed
- 2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Pepper Flakes
- 5 cups White Vinegar
- Chop and dice all vegetables.
- Place in non-reactive container (glass, stainless, ceramic)
- Sprinkle with salt. Gently mix well.
- Let stand 4 to 6 hours, or overnight if possible.
- Drain well.
- Rinse and drain again.
- Combine Sugar, Spices and Vinegar in a large saucepot.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add vegetables, simmer 10 minutes.
- Bring to a boil, cook until veggies are tender.
- Pack hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Adjust two piece caps.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.
Keywords: Chow Chow Relish, how to can, made from scratch, southern chow chow, southern recipes, canning, home food preservation