Step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making Chicken Gizzards with Gravy.
- 1 package Chicken Gizzards, (approx. 1 pound)
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 cup + 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 can Chicken Broth (10 ½ ounce)
- 1 cup warm Water
- Place gizzards in a colander under cold running water.
- Wash each gizzard carefully, removing any green spots or other debris. Let drain.
Place gizzards in a large stock pot and cover with an inch or so of water.
Bring pot to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for one hour until tender. Drain off the liquid.
- Place gizzards in a small bowl, cover with buttermilk.
- Place flour in a large zip lock type bag, or brown paper bag.
- Add salt.
- Add black pepper
- Shake ingredients together until fully blended.
- Remove gizzards, gently shaking off the buttermilk.
- Place gizzards in bag with flour mixture. Repeat until all gizzards are in the bag.
- Close the bag and gently shake the gizzards until fully coated with flour.
- Remove gizzards from flour, place on a foil lined sheet pan and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Place oil in skillet, over Medium heat. Heat until oil reaches 350F degrees for frying.
- Gently place the gizzards, one at a time, into the hot grease.
- Fry gizzards until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove gizzards from oil, place on wire rack to drain and cool.
- Drain all but about 2 Tablespoons of oil from the skillet.
- Add the remaining Tablespoon of flour to the skillet and stir until brown.
- Gradually add the can of chicken broth, stirring quickly to remove any lumps.
- Add the cup of warm water. (Do not add cold water to a cast iron skillet)
- Bring the mixture up to a low boil.
- Gently place the gizzards back into the skillet. Leave uncovered. Simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Serve hot over rice.
These are good served over rice, with mashed potatoes, or even over egg noodles. Give it a try.
Keywords: Chicken Gizzards with Gravy, fried, southern, easy, old fashioned