Follow step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making this delicious Cabbage Casserole dish. We’re taking cooked cabbage up a couple of levels, adding some cheddar cheese, and making a dish even those family members that don’t like cabbage will find themselves asking for seconds. I’ve never been a fan of cooked cabbage myself, and it even made me go back for more.
- 1 whole Cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1 medium Carrot, diced
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 stick Butter, divided
- 6 ounces American Cheese, grated
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar.
- ½ cup dry Breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Remove any bad or old outer leaves from the cabbage. Save for compost pile or discard.
- Rinse the cabbage and the carrot under cold running water.
- Remove core from cabbage and discard.
- Slice cabbage into bite size pieces.
- Place cut cabbage in a large sauce pot, cover with water.
- Add the vinegar and cook cabbage over medium heat until tender.
- Remove both ends from carrot and discard. Dice carrot into small pieces
- Remove outer skin layer from onion and discard. Slice onion in half, dice into small pieces.
- When tender, drain the cooked cabbage thoroughly.
- Place diced onions, carrots and 3 Tablespoons of the butter in the large pot.
- Saute until onions are translucent and carrots are tender.
- Add the mushroom soup, stir until warm.
- Add the drained cabbage a little at the time, stirring after each addition.
- Add Salt.
- Add Black Pepper
- Stir well to be sure it’s all mixed together.
- Taste the dish at this point to see if it needs more salt or black pepper. Add if needed.
- Spoon 1/3 of the mixture into an ungreased 2.5 quart casserole dish, and spread out evenly.
- Top with some of the grated cheese and give it a gentle stir, just to mix it up a bit.
- Repeat the process, adding another 1/3 layer of cabbage, then cheese, stirring gently again.
- Top the mixture with the remaining 1/3 of the cabbage.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs all over the top of the cabbage, spreading evenly with a spoon.
- Melt remaining butter and drizzle over breadcrumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350º for 25-30 minutes or until thoroughly heated all the way thru.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!
Adding the vinegar to the cabbage while it cooks, may cut down on some of the “aroma” while it cooks. This would be great topped with a Stuffing mix instead of Bread Crumbs. That would add a little crunchiness.
Keywords: Cabbage Casserole Recipe, made from scratch, bread crumbs, casserole, southern recipes