Follow step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making this creamy and crunchy Butter Pecan Ice Cream. We’re toasting our pecans, making our custard from scratch, then freezing it in our wooden ice cream churn. We’ll take it up a notch by using Maple Syrup and North Carolina grown Pecans. The whole family is going to love you for making this one.
- 1 ½ cups Pecans, chopped
- 6 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
Ice Cream Custard:
- 1 cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 6 Egg yolks, beaten
- 4 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- ¾ cup Maple Syrup
- 5 cups Whole Milk
- 2 cups Whipping Cream
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
Toast The Pecans:
- In a medium size mixing bowl…
- Add Pecans
- Add Butter
- Add Sugar
- Add Salt
- Mix ingredients well.
- Spread pecans on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool completely.
Make The Custard:
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
- In a large mixing bowl… Add egg yolks.
- Whisk yolks well, until creamy.
- Add the packed cup of brown sugar.
- Add granulated sugar.
- Add corn starch.
- Whisk ingredients together well.
- Add pancake syrup, whisk again until mixed well.
- Place a medium sized sauce pot over medium heat on your stove top.
- Add the whole milk.
- Bring milk up to 170°, and let cook for one minute at this temperature.
- Temper the egg mixture by adding just a small amount of hot milk to the mixing bowl.
- Stir constantly, continuing to add milk, until all the milk has been mixed in.
- Return the mixture to the sauce pot and place back over Medium heat.
- Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until it reaches 170° again and thickens.
- Test by coating a wooden spoon with mixture.
- It should stay separated when you pull your finger through the mixture on the back of spoon.
- Remove sauce pot from heat and place in sink.
- Continue to stir as you let cold water rise up around the outside of the pan just over half way.
- Let the mixture cool completely.
- Place in another container with a lid, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to freeze…
- Add the pecan pieces to the custard.
- Add whipping cream.
- Add Vanilla extract.
- Place mixture in can of freezer and freeze according to directions for your ice cream maker.
Keywords: Butter Pecan Ice Cream Recipe, homemade, made from scratch, pecans, southern recipes