Follow step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions to make our delicious, and hearty, Brunswick Stew. We’re combining Chicken, Pork BBQ, and some of our favorite vegetables, to make this stew from scratch. Brunswick Stew is a traditional side dish served in barbecue restaurants throughout the South, but it’s great as a main course of its very own. Just add saltine crackers or bread.
- 1 whole Chicken
- 1 lb. Pork Barbecue, fully cooked.
- 1 lb. Baby Lima Beans
- 1 lb. Corn
- 4 medium Potatoes, diced
- 1 can Tomato Sauce – 8oz.
- 2 cans Tomato Paste – 4oz
- ½ stick Butter
- ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ cup Texas Pete Hot Sauce
- ¼ cup Ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Rinse the fryer under cold running water.
- Place fryer in large stock pot and cover with water about 6 inches over chicken.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and let chicken cook for one hour.
- Remove cooked chicken from pot, set aside to cool.
- Place the frozen baby lima beans and frozen corn in a colander. Rinse well.
- Add the beans and corn to a large stock pot.
- Wash, peel and cut up the potatoes, add to the beans and corn.
- Add enough water to cover the vegetables by about 2 inches.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until vegetables are tender. About one hour.
- While the vegetables cook, pull the chicken meat from the bones. Discard bones and skin.
- Shred chicken into small pieces.
- When vegetables are done, remove any excess liquid, leaving just enough to reach top of vegetables.
- Add tomato sauce.
- Add apple cider vinegar
- Add brown sugar.
- Add black pepper
- Add salt.
- Add butter.
- Add Texas Pete Hot Sauce.
- Add tomato paste.
- Add Worcestershire Sauce.
- Stir well.
- Add chicken to the stew.
- Add pork barbecue to stew.
- Add Ketchup. Stir well.
- Return to stove top and simmer on medium, stirring often, until warm, prior to serving.
- Stock or liquid from vegetables may be added if needed to obtain desired consistency.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!
Brunswick Stew is always tomato based, and thick. Make it your own recipe by adding the vegetable ingredients you have on hand and like.
Keywords: Brunswick Stew, made from scratch, soup, leftovers, barbecue sides, southern recipes