Follow our step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe for making this delicious Shrimp Creole recipe from the Brewton Inn in Charleston, South Carolina. We’ve teamed up with FoodSaver, the #1 Vacuum Sealing System to test out their newest product addition. See the results, and try the recipe. Printable recipe included.
- 4 Tablespoons Bacon Drippings
- 2 medium size Onions
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 ½ cups Celery
- 1 Quart Canned Tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 3 cups Shrimp
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Dice the onions, green peppers and celery into small pieces
- Place frying pan over medium heat on stove top.
- Add the bacon drippings
- Add onions
- Add green peppers
- Add celery
- Fry the vegetables in the bacon grease until onions are translucent and tender
- Add canned tomatoes
- Add sugar
- Add tomato paste.
- Simmer mixture slowly for about 30 to 45 minutes, until mixture reaches a thick consistency.
- Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Add the peeled and deveined shrimp. Let simmer until shrimp turn light pink in color.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Recipe adapted from the Charleston Receipts Cookbook, published 1950 from recipes collected by the Junior League of Charleston, South Carolina. Page 68.
Keywords: Brewton Inn Shrimp Creole Recipe, Charleston Receipts, shrimp creole, food saver review, southern recipes