Follow these easy, step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making and canning your very own Bread and Butter Pickles. You’ll never buy pickles again once you’ve made your own. See just how quick and easy it is to make these delicious pickles right in your own kitchen. This recipe can be completed in one day.
- 6-lbs of Pickling Cucumbers
- 3-lbs Onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Canning or Pickling Salt
- 4 cups White Vinegar (5% Acidity)
- 4 cups Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Mustard Seed
- 1½ Tablespoons Celery Seed
- 1 Tablespoon Pickling Spice
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- Place cucumbers in sink with cold water.
- Scrub each cucumber by hand, DO NOT use a vegetable brush.
- Rinse all the cucumbers and drain.
- Slice ¼ inch off each end of each cucumber and discard.
- Slice the cucumbers into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Slice the onions.
- Place the sliced cucumbers and onions in a large pot and stir gently by hand to mix.
- Sprinkle salt over the mixture.
- Cover the mixture with about 2 inches of crushed or cubed ice.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 3-4 hours, or overnight, adding more ice as needed during this time. When ready to process pickles, wash jars in hot, soapy water.
- Setup your stove and counter area in advance for ease in canning.
- Place jars in boiling water for 15 minutes to sterilize.
- Place lids and bands in a pot of warm water, not hot or boiling, and let sit until needed.
- Drain cucumbers and onions, rinse well to remove salt and let drain.
- In a large pot, add Vinegar, Sugar, Mustard Seed, Celery Seed, Pickling Spice, Turmeric, stir well. Bring to a boil over Medium-High heat and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add cucumbers and onions to the pot, bring back to low boil and boil for One Minute.
- Remove from heat and ladle into jars, leaving ¼ inch head space in each jar.
- Remove any air bubbles by inserting a wooden skewer along inside edge of the jar.
- Wipe top of jar and rim with a clean damp cloth.
- Center a lid on the jar. Add the band, and tighten only finger tight.
- Process jars, using the water bath process, for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars from canning pot, set aside in a draft free location, undisturbed for 24 hours.
- Test jars for proper seal. Store sealed jars in a cool dark place for up to one year.
Keywords: Bread and Butter Pickles Recipe, award winning, north carolina state fair, made from scratch, home food preservation, southern recipes