Follow these easy, step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making our homemade Basic Cake Layers Recipe. Baking from scratch is much easier than you think. Why give credit to a boxed cake mix when you can bake your very own scratch made layers and, have family and friends raving about how moist and delicious your cakes always are.
- ½ cup Crisco Shortening
- 1 stick of Unsalted Butter, cubed
- 2 cups Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 3 cups Plain Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup canned Evaporated Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Coconut Extract
Preheat oven to 325º.
- In a mixing bowl, add sugar, butter, shortening, cream together on low speed until mixed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing briefly after each one is added.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the dry ingredients. Place sifter in bowl.
- Add 3 cups of flour
- Add baking powder
- Add Salt
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Measure out flour, one level cup at a time and mix into wet ingredients.
- Add half a cup of the milk. Mix again.
- Add another cup of flour and mix until its incorporated well.
- Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add remaining milk, mix again.
- Add last of the flour and mix well, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add the Vanilla and Coconut Flavorings and mix again.
Prepare the Pans
- Coat the bottom and inside edges of a 9 inch baking pan.
- Flour the bottom and inside edges of the pan with flour, coating well.
- Tap out any excess flour.
- Pour 3 cups of the batter into each of the two pans.
- Use the back of a spoon and carefully spread the batter out to the edges of the pan.
- Lift the pan straight up from the counter a couple of inches and drop it to settle the batter.
- Place in oven. Bake at 325º for about 20 minutes or until done.
- Test with a clean wooden toothpick to be sure the layer is done.
- Remove the layer, place on a wire rack and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Run a knife around the inside edges of the pan to loosen the layer.
- Place a plate or another wire rack on the top of the layer, hold together and flip it all over.
- Gently tap the bottom of the pan and lift the pan from the layer.
- Use your hands to flip the layer back over onto the wire rack.
- Let layers cool completely before adding any frosting or filling.
Layers may be baked a day ahead of time, allowed to cool, then wrapped in plastic wrap to be frosted within 24 hours. Layers can also be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen for up to 3 months before using.
Keywords: Basic Cake Layers Recipe, made from scratch, old fashioned, southern recipes, how to make, DIY, cake