Follow our step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe for baking up this delicious Pork Ham Shank, complete with Brown Sugar Glaze. Great as a main dish, great for making sandwiches. Either way you use it, your family will absolutely love it. Printable recipe included.
- 1 Pork Ham Shank (About 8lbs)
- 1 Box Brown Sugar, light or dark
- ½ cup Yellow Mustard
Pre-heat oven to 325F degrees.
- Remove package wrap and any other materials from the ham shank.
- Line a 13x9x2 pan with aluminum foil, or use a disposable roasting pan.
- Place the ham shank, cut end down, in the roasting pan.
- Generously coat the outside of the shank with yellow mustard, on all sides.
- Cover the ham shank with the brown sugar.
- Use your hands to spread the sugar over all sides of the ham shank, top and bottom.
- Cover the pan lightly with aluminum foil.
- Place roasting pan in oven.
- Bake at 325F degrees for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the aluminum foil covering from the ham shank. Set foil aside for later.
- Baste the ham with the juices in the bottom of the pan.
- Return the pan, uncovered to the oven.
- Continue to bake until the shank reaches 165F degrees, taking the reading away from the bone.
- Note: Total baking time will be about 15-18 minutes per pound.
- When the shank reaches 165F, remove from oven.
- Lightly recover with foil. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
- Slice, serve warm… and Enjoy.
- Be sure to save the ham bone for a good Ham Bone and Beans dish later.
Be sure to save the bone from your ham shank. It’s great for seasoning, and for our Ham Bone Beans recipe here on Taste of Southern.
Keywords: Baked Ham Shank with Brown Sugar Glaze Recipe, ham shank, pork recipes, made from scratch, southern recipes