Follow easy step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making these delicious Baked Beans… from scratch. We start out with dry Navy Beans, soak them overnight then, we add bacon and a few other surprises to make some of the best beans you’ve ever enjoyed. Did I mention we slow cooked them for about 7 hours? Oh yeah… they’re that good. We’ve even got a printable recipe.
- 1 lb of dry Navy Beans, soak overnight
- 1 lb of Ground Beef, 80/20, cooked and drained
- ½ lb of Bacon, diced, lightly cooked
- 1 cup Onion, diced
- 1 cup Bell Peppers, diced
- 2 cup Beef Broth
- 1 ½ cups Brown Sugar
- 1 15oz can Tomato Sauce
- ½ cup Grandmas Molasses
- 2 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Texas Pete Hot Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- ¼ cup Yellow Mustard
- ¼ cup Ketchup
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Sort through dry beans to remove any stones or hard beans.
- Place beans in a large pot, cover with water, soak overnight.
- Drain beans, place in a large baking pan.
- Peel the outer skin from an onion, dice it up.
- Brown ground beef in a skillet placed over medium heat. Drain off fat.
- Add cooked beef to pan with beans.
- Add onions.
- Add Bell Peppers.
- Chop bacon into small pieces. Place bacon in skillet, brown lightly.
- Add cooked bacon and bacon grease to pan with beans.
- Add Tomato Sauce.
- Add brown sugar.
- Add Molasses.
- Add Yellow Mustard.
- Add Garlic Powder.
- Add Liquid Smoke.
- Add Texas Pete Hot Sauce
- Add Worcestershire Sauce
- Add beef broth.
- Gently stir all ingredients together until mixed well.
- Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- Place in pre-heated 300 degree oven, bake covered for 3 hours.
- Add Ketchup.
- Add Salt if needed.
- Add Black Pepper, stir well.
- Return beans, uncovered, back to oven and bake about one hour or until beans are tender. Remember, mine took 7 hours total.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
This recipe can also be made using canned Pork and Beans as opposed to the dry beans. I suggest using Bush’s brand if you can find them. Use four 16oz cans. If using dry beans, cut down on baking time by pre-cooking your beans in boiling water for one hour or longer.
Keywords: Baked Beans Recipe, made from scratch, navy beans, barbecue beans, southern recipes