If you think Strawberry Shortcake is one of those little pre-packaged cake cups and a bag of syrup you find in the grocery store, then you just don’t know what you’re missing. You’ll love this rustic Strawberry Shortcake Recipe, adapted from a 1928 cookbook with it’s crusty bread layers and sugared fresh Strawberrys. Just add whipped cream topping and dig in.
- 2 1/2 cups of All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups of Strawberries prepared with sugar.
- 3/4 cup of Whole Milk
- 1/3 cup of Shortening, Crisco etc.
- 1 Egg
- 4 teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoons of Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1 container of Cool Whip or Whipped Cream of choice.
- Place all dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a sifter. Sift into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the shortening, cut into flour with a fork.
- Break egg into the measured amount of milk. Whisk together.
- Pour the milk mixture into a well formed in the flour mix.
- Use a fork and stir together to form a dough.
- Remove from bowl and place on a floured counter top or board.
- Knead the dough until smooth.
- Shape the dough into a ball, pat into a circle about one inch thick.
- Cut the circle into half.
- Shape each half into a ball. Let dough rest for a few minutes.
- Flour the surface again. Roll out each half into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick or just pat out by hand.
- Grease a baking sheet or baking pan with shortening.
- Place the rolled out flour dough into the pan.
- Sprinkle the top generously with more flour. Brush away any lumps.
- Roll out the remaining dough ball and place on top of the first already in the pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 25-35 minutes, until done.
- Remove from oven, place pan on towel or rack and let cool about 5 minutes.
- Carefully lift the top layer up from the bottom layer and set aside.
- Brush the inside parts of both layers generously with butter.
- Place the two pieces back together.
- Cut in half lengthwise, then into thirds to make six servings.
Assemble the Shortcakes
- Place the bottom layer of one section on a serving plate.
- Top with sugared berries and lots of juice.
- Add a good scoop of whipping cream.
- Top this with the top layer of the cake.
- Add more berries and juice, a little more whipped cream and, then garnish with a fresh Strawberry, fan sliced.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Prepared Strawberries with Sugar: We suggest you use 1 cup of Sugar per One Quart of Fresh Strawberries for this recipe. Strawberries must be capped, washed, sliced and combined with sugar. See our recipe for Freezing Strawberries with Sugar for more information. Visit our website at www.TasteOfSouthern.com for step-by-step photo instructions on how to do it.
This recipe is adapted from the cookbook entitled “Southern Cooking” by Mrs. S. R. Dull. Publised by Grosset & Dunlap of New York. Copyright 1928 by Mrs. S. R. Dull of Atlanta Georgia. Second Printing, 1941.
Keywords: 1928 Strawberry Shortcake Recipe, made from scratch, rustic bread, vintage, strawberry, strawberries, southern recipes