Follow our easy, step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions to make this very special Squash Casserole recipe. It’s a great way to use some of those summer crooked neck yellow squash and it’s so simple to put together. We’re using herb stuffing in this version and we’ve included a printable recipe as well.
- 1 ½ lbs of Yellow Squash, sliced
- 1 small Onion, sliced
- 1 cup Carrots, grated
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 8oz carton Sour Cream
- 2 cups Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt
Preheat oven to 350º
- Wash the carrots and squash under cold water.
- Remove ends from squash and from carrots, discard.
- Slice squash into 1/4 inch slices.
- Slice onion into small pieces.
- Grate the carrots, or slice thin.
- Place squash, and onions in a small saucepan.
- Add one teaspoon of salt.
- Place on stove top, over medium heat, and cook about 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Place one cup of the shredded carrots in a colander.
- Pour the cooked squash and onions into the colander, on top of the carrots.
- Let cool about 20 minutes.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the cream of chicken soup.
- Add the sour cream.
- Add the stuffing mix, reserving about half a cup to place on top.
- Fold together until combined.
- Place half the dressing in the bottom of a large casserole dish.
- Add a layer of the squash mixture.
- Add the remaining dressing mixture and spread out evenly
- Add the remaining squash mixture and spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle the top with the reserved dry stuffing crumbs.
- Dot the top with butter.
- Bake at 350º for 35-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on a folded towel. Let cool a bit before serving.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!
Some folks use Ritz type crackers instead of the Stuffing Mix. Some also use Mushroom Soup instead of Cream of Chicken. Experiment with the recipe and make it your own. Enjoy!
Keywords: Squash Casserole Recipe, stuffing mix, easy, southern recipes