Easy Southern Fried Potatoes are best when cooked in a cast iron skillet. Follow our step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe to make them.
- 3–4 medium size Potatoes
- 1 medium Onion
- ½ cup Oil or Shortening
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Wash and dry potatoes. Peel if desired.
- Slice the potatoes into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Place a skillet over Medium heat on your stove top.
- When skillet is hot, add the oil and the bacon grease.
- When the oil is hot, carefully add the potatoes.
- Add black pepper to taste, as desired.
- Stir potatoes to coat in oil.
- Cover the skillet and let potatoes cook 10 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Slice the onion.
- Add the onion to the potatoes.
- Cover again. Cook 5 more minutes. Remove lid.
- Cook uncovered for about 5 more minutes to let potatoes slightly brown.
- Add salt to taste.
- Remove from skillet and place in a serving bowl.
Keywords: Southern Fried Potatoes Recipe, made from scratch, pan fried potatoes, skillet fried potatoes, southern recipes